If you haven't already heard, I am going bald at 1pm tomorrow, 16th March 2012. Joining me are S & A. We're raising funds for the Leukaemia Foundation. A has shaved off half the things he said he would, the rest is to go in August.
One night 2 weeks ago, S & I decided to just go for it, cos (quoting the camerlango from Angels & Demons), if not now, then when? We assure you we had had no alcohol prior to signing up. After signing up we took a few days to publicise it, and once we did, there was no going back. A joined us soon after.
We are thrilled and touched beyond words by our friends and family who have donated. Some people we never thought would, did, although the converse is also true ;) Having someone donate to this cause makes us feel much less nervous about doing this. We know we have their support.
After 1 week, I'd become quite tired of thinking and talking about it. I just wanted to get it over with. Time seemed to be flying so slowly. This second week, on the other hand, has passed by in the blink of an eye! It seems like it was the weekend just yesterday and now I am less than 12 hours away from potentially looking like an alien. I have only 1 square scarf as of now, and it is heavily patterned. Note to self: must get more square scarves this weekend!
This evening was the SAIMA dinner. Dr K very kindly helped us publicise, and after cringe-worthy speeches, we got more support than we ever expected. The answer is always no unless you ask.
There's lots of things we hide under our hair. Weird head shapes, weird patches on the head, quadruple chins, an entire eye (think Dr Blight from Captain Planet). I've hidden tears at movies from my friends/ family cos I didn't want them to think I'm a softie. I won't be able to do any of that for a long time. But I am choosing to go bald. My hair will grow back. Let's spend a moment to think of the people for whom going bald is not a choice, and for whom hair will never grow back.
Holy Cow! You are truly BRAVE! And what a great thing you are doing.
ReplyDeleteThank you!! :)
Delete